Being on a plane can be a very lonely for travelers – having no control over who they may spend hours sitting next to. This can continue even after a flight is over, with travelers having to kill time in airports during long layovers.
Even though modern airports offer a wide range of entertainment like shops, cafes, art galleries, and more, they do not make socializing easier.
Softarex Technologies, Inc. has developed a mobile platform that can connect people with similar interests while traveling. With this application, travelers can search for the most suitable companion during a flight or while in the airport during a long layover.
There was no solution in the marketplace that not only streamlines tedious airports check-ins, boarding and waiting for flights, but also dramatically improves the travel experience by enabling travelers to meet new people that share similar interests. We call it social traveling and this was the genesis for Waito.
What was achieved:
- Passengers can now avoid unpleasant ‘seating companions’ since every trip can be accompanied by people with similar interests or at least someone who respects their personal space.
- Airports can become a much more engaging place and trips can become way more beneficial with the airport chats. Meet for a drink? Share a taxi? Looking for some company to spend an hour or so in a cafe? Every user can propose an activity, add a location pin and get ready to receive dozens of replies. it’s as simple as that.
- Java 8
- React Native
With the help of the application, passengers can now totally change the way they travel using the following functions:
- Personal profile. Users can create profiles and briefly outline their personal info, interests, business areas, and preferred activities during the trip. There is no worry that someone unwelcome would see sensitive info as access to each profile field can be easily modified.
- Flights search. Cost and duration tend to be the main factors that influence the user’s choice of flight, also that could be airline and layover hubs. But this app allows users to take another important parameter into account: the passengers. The powerful search engines allow to look through all the existing flights and check who has already joined them.
- Connections. Once users find an interesting company among registered passengers, they can send a connection request and chat when it is accepted.
- Blacklist. Of course, there is no guarantee that every passenger would be nice and friendly. People are people and everything might happen, but bullying and harassment are restricted in this app, so each user can block a troll and report abuse.
- Airport chats. There is a space created for each and every airport, which user joins automatically once they arrive in. Of course, thousands of users in a single chat might cause a flood, so the app has the option to create threads for proposing one of the predefined activities: Restaurant, Beer, Coffee, Share a taxi, and Shuttle. Users can add their current location tag, a comment, and wait for replies. When users leave an airport – they leave its chat and all their threads expire.
- Flight chats. It is another channel that unites all the passengers who have joined a flight. Met a person on a plane but don’t remember their name? Lost something? Or just curious who else is flying with you? All the answers can be found in this chat. Might sound like there are too many chats, but the flight chats expire in a day after a plane lands, leaving a place for new connections.
- Trending. Users can mark the purpose of a trip and see where else do people fly with the same intentions. It may help to find another suitable option.