Disease treatment is never an easy thing, but when it comes to chronic diseases the situation is even worse: these enemies, even long known, will not retreat.
This fight is almost impossible to win in most cases because such diseases can’t be cured. But special medical treatments can help to manage chronic diseases and bring your life back to normal.
This was the idea of the UCLA Division for Digestive Diseases, Center for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases — to create a platform for hospitals with 360-degree health management of patients. The platform, which would have a personal assistant that eases patients’ routine of continuous treatment, organizes daily rituals, and simplifies communication with doctors.
And we’ve created and implemented such a system.
For this project, we have developed a role-based platform for patients’ health management in a 360-degree way. The platform is made up of two components: a portal for doctors and a mobile application for patients.
Using this platform, doctors always have a patient profile with all the necessary information at their fingertips: when the disease was diagnosed, its progress, patient’s bad habits, inherited diseases, and so on.
Doctors can send personalized weekly online questionnaires to track the treatment process, as well as schedule visits online. Here they can check all laboratory tests, consult with colleagues, order medical supplies, and much more.
The Patient’s app makes your phone into a personal doctor. The application monitors compliance with a treatment’s scenario: notifies about the time for meds or rehab exercises and more. Patients can contact their doctors via the application any time, monitor the treatment progress, or schedule a visit. This way patients can actively participate in their disease management when and where they need it.
Meanwhile, the platform has such components as a flexible procedure module, a care program builder, a custom form builder, an education builder, a general workflow engine and way more.
Our customer is a world leader in the diagnosis, treatment, and research aimed at combating chronic diseases (for ex. disorders affecting the gastrointestinal tract or epilepsy).
The development of healthcare software is always entailed with a number of well-known challenges: the security of data storage and processing, complex integrations with internal hospital software, data migration and synchronization, and much more. But since they are well-known it’s easier to solve them.
- The real challenges were:
- Flexibility. The system had to operate data of thousands of patients throughout the world. And each hospital has its own structure, rules, methods, approaches, language, and branding. Therefore, the system should have been very dynamic: starting from the logo and ending with sign-in type. But not only it dealt with the authoring tool side, but the patient’s mobile apps also had to have the highest level of customization as well.
- Value-based healthcare model. This model implies a different approach for provider reimbursement than the traditional fee for service model. That is why it was necessary to develop new models of coefficients, metrics, and services.
- Multi-tenant system. Since the system is meant to be shared, it is crucial to clearly establish accesses, specific privileges, and roles. This requires a more complex architecture and a bigger data scale. Also, there are specific rules for server deployment and data storage from different countries.
What was achieved:
- The app dramatically reduced the time for contacting doctors because the app allows patients to do it any time via personal doctor-patient chats.
- Doctors now have all the valid information about patients in one place with quick access and easy management — no more paperwork and lost medical cards.
- With weekly questionnaires, doctors, as well as patients, can monitor the treatment process and make adjustments based on the results. So the whole care service has become more complete and qualitative
- Thanks to the more convenient process, patients can chat or call for an appointment, get directions, and view entries over time.
- Objective C
- Android SDK
- iOS SDK
- RESTful API
With the help of our value-based healthcare authoring platform for health management and the mobile app, doctors and patients can easily manage the disease activity and cost-effectively improve the health outcomes.
- Platform users can:
- Personalize and review care program, clinical and laboratory results, upcoming labs, clinic visits, schedule home care, and procedures;
- Update current disease activity state, quality of life, and work productivity via manageable questionnaires for any period of time;
- Patients can chat with doctors in-app or call them directly, assign an appointment online, or receive a referral.
- Doctors can manage the whole treatment processes online: medicine prescription, communication with a patient, as well as colleagues consulting, obtaining lab results, and make adjustments according to them, and more.
- Patients have access to a big chronic disease database, where they can learn about their own disease more: recommendations, treatments, relative cases, and so on.
- There are personal in-app coaches, who guide patients throughout their treatment about the necessary activity: yoga, indoor\outdoor training, etc.
- Due to full integration with existing EMR’s, every action about patients and their data is easily manageable and trackable at any time.
- Every hospital can adjust how patients’ data is structured and filtered in the system due to very flexible forms of a wide variety.